Contact me at: cara. cooper@ y mail.com Please note I've included gaps to discourage spam - just leave those out when you e-mail. Thanks



Tuesday 11 May 2010

Titles: thoughtsfromalockedroom




I always have real problems with titles for stories. Similarly I had to ponder a bit on the title for this blog. The title 'thoughtsfromalockedroom' came about because I recently went to see again on the London stage, and thoroughly enjoyed 'The Phantom of the Opera.' It's a wonderful, gothic, over the top piece and I got to wonder about the original text. I discovered this was a novel by Gaston Laroux. He was an extraordinary character left a fortune by his father, he managed to gamble it away in a year. Then via journalism, he turned to writing novels and was good enough to earn a good living. Although very famous in his day is all but forgotten now. Certainly you can get very few of his books in the library. In particular I had hoped to find 'The Mystery of the Yellow Room' which is reckoned to be the first 'locked room' murder mystery, where the victim is found dead or dying in a room locked from the inside. All I could find was The Phantom of the Opera' so I am reading that now. Anyhow, in a roundabout way, that's how I came upon the title for my blog and as nobody had got there before me, it's stuck!




No comments:

Post a Comment